April Ockerman began podcasting about 9 months ago. She had spent about a year doing research into how to start her podcast.
While she worked through figuring out her budget for podcasting, deciding what pieces of podcasting equipment to get, which software to use for recording and editing, April also had to face her fears of getting started by realizing that she can really impact people through her podcast.
Some lessons she learned as she got started:
- Do you research – find out what makes a good audience, what length your audience likes
- Ask people to listen to the podcast
- Be open to receive feedback
- Set the time aside (it takes her about 3 hours to do two 15 minute episodes)
- Just go for it!
How April has promoted her podcast:
- Created a facebook group
- Put the podcast on her website
- Share it on social media
- Article in the local newspaper
She recommends that everyone look into working with their local newspaper to get a story done on their podcast or podcast topic.
Her biggest pain point is monetizing her podcast. One great resource that helped her was a couple episodes of the School of Podcasting with Glenn the Geek from the Horse Radio Network.
Resources and Links:
- April’s website
- Episodes with Glenn the Geek